[ogf20pc] Network question

Geoffrey Fox gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Feb 8 13:53:39 CST 2007

There are many times I have needed real IP's for demos as NATs do not
support all connection models but I'm not giving a demo! Often it
requires special tweaks of the client and/or good NAT configuration to
enable connections. UDP can be especially hard for server side messages
to get back to client

Stephen M Pickles wrote:
> Hi Massimo,
>
> In general, I would have thought that demos would not
> require inbound connectivity. I'm trying to flush out
> any exceptions to the general case now.
>
> We are already planning on wired connections to the
> demonstrations. There will be some cost implications due
> to cabling and ducting and getting wires to each demonstration
> and each exhibition booth that needs it. (The cost is not
> negligible if the venues' default costing model -- per each --
> is applied, so we'll have to work on that.)
>
> We're negotiating on the basis of 1 Gbps.
> This is consistent with scaling up usage traces from
> OGF19 last week, and assuming that GGF16 was over-provisioned
> at 2 x 1 Gbps.
>
> Stephen

:
: Geoffrey Fox  gcf at indiana.edu FAX 8128567972 http://www.infomall.org
: Phones Cell 812-219-4643 Home 8123239196 Lab 8128567977
: SkypeIn 812-669-0772 with voicemail, International cell 8123910207