[ogf20pc] Network question

Fotis Karayannis fkara at grnet.gr
Thu Feb 8 09:07:11 CST 2007

Hi Stephen,
  I can link you with my networking guys that did both the EGEE-3
conference and the GGF16 in Athens. For those we got 4 class C addresses
(a bit more than a thousand IPs). Indeed it takes some negotiation with
the national registry, but it is a standard procedure.

Your hybrid solution is also ok (and maybe more secure) but indeed adds
  to the complexity.
Let's take the rest off line,
All the best,
Fotis

Stephen M Pickles wrote:
> All,
>
> A question has arisen regarding the network provision at OGF20
> and EGEE-UF 2.
>
> Is anyone likely to be running a demonstration in the exhibition
> that will involve incoming connections?
>
> We need to be able to provide up to 900 or so IP addresses.
> If all connections will be outgoing, it should be possible
> to do this using Network Address Translation. If some connections
> will be incoming, then it is likely that real IP addresses
> will be needed.
>
> An early response will be very helpful. Obtaining 900+ real
> IP addresses will require some negotiation and cannot be
> guaranteed at this stage. Adopting a hybrid solution of NAT
> for wireless and real IP addresses for wired ethernet to
> the booths is possible, but would add complexity
> to the network design and configuration.
>
> Stephen
>
> PS We're assuming IPV6 will not be required.
>
> ==================== Stephen M. Pickles ====================
>
> Technical Director, National Grid Service
> Manchester Computing
> Room G49.1, Kilburn Building
> The University of Manchester           tel: +44 161 275 5974
> Oxford Road                            fax: +44 161 275 6800
> Manchester M13 9PL          stephen.pickles at manchester.ac.uk

Fotis Karayannis, Dr. Eng.
Infrastructure Development and Planning Manager
Greek Research & Technology Network-GRNET S.A.
http://www.grnet.gr

56, Mesogion Ave., Ampelokipi
4th Floor, Technical Department
GR11527 Athens