[ogf20pc] Agenda for Tuesday's telcon

Kimmo Koski kimmo.koski at csc.fi
Sat Jan 6 15:00:57 CST 2007

Dear All,

Unfortunately I will (again) not be able to participate in the first
teleconference next Tuesday. I would like to contribute through email for
the agenda point about speaker proposals. Here are some potentially
interesting alternatives:

1) Leif Laaksonen (Leif.Laaksonen at csc.fi), chair of e-IRG (European
e-Infrastructure Reflection Group, http://www.eirg.eu/)

Here is some data from the e-IRG Web. This body is also pretty much involved
in European Grid projects:

"Within the e-IRG there is a strong focus on high-level policy, and the
information required to define that policy rather than on technical detail.
Current important issues within the e-IRG are:

    * e-infrastructures in FP7
    * a policy for resource sharing
    * a registry/repository for European resources
    * coordination of new national and EU funding programs
    * better links and synergies between Europe and other regions (e.g. USA,
Japan) engaged in similar activities"

2) Someone from HPC in Europe taskforce (HET)
(http://www.hpcineuropetaskforce.eu/)

HET is drafting a strategy for the European HPC Ecosystem with a focus in
future European petaflop centers. The recommendations and strategy work will
be available in the beginning of this year. Based on this work there will
probably be a project for establishment of these centers later this year.

I am chairing the HET work myself, but anyone from the HET members (list
available: http://www.hpcineuropetaskforce.eu/members) could probably give a
presentation. I actually will not be able to participate OGF20 at least not
before late Wednesday 9th May due to previously agreed engagements.

3) Nordic view on grids, several possibilities:
- Farid.Ould-Saada at fys.uio.no (ARC middleware development)
- Gudmund Höst (gho at forskningsradet.no) is the current chair of Nordic Data
Grid Facility (NDGF, http://www.ndgf.org/), which is a collaboration project
for data intensive grids among Nordic countries. Another alternative is the
NDGF Director Rene.Buch at ndgf.org. A technical talk about NDGF could best be
given by NDGF Technical coordinator Michael Grönager (gronager at ndgf.org).
If one of these three is chosen, I guess that Michael's talk could be the
most interesting for OGF20-audience.
- Norwegian grid could be presented by Jacko.koster at uninett.no, Swedish grid
by Sverker.holmgren at it.uu.se and Finnish system by anyone from CSC (above
mentioned Leif Laaksonen can also do it, or someone else - if that becomes
an interesting alternative I can nominate a suitable person for this)

4) European grid projects, such as Deisa, EGEE and Geant2, are certainly
already proposed before, as also the 'usual suspects' from EU Grid
technologies and/or research Infrastructures, I guess...

I'll be happy to provide more proposals if needed, when I will hear the
results from the teleconference and see in which direction the program is
shifting.

Greetings and have a successful meeting,

Kimmo