[ogf-msc] fyi

Linesch, Mark mark.linesch at hp.com
Tue Oct 9 10:37:02 CDT 2007

Google and I.B.M. Join in 'Cloud Computing' Research
Top of Form 1
 <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>
 <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>
 <<Picture (Metafile)>>
Bottom of Form 1
*	Top of Form 2
		 <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>
<<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>
<<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>
<<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>
<<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>  <<Picture (Metafile)>>
<<Picture (Metafile)>> E-Mail <javascript:document.emailThis.submit();>
		Bottom of Form 2
*	Print
</2007/10/08/technology/08cloud.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print>
/2007/10/08/technology/08cloud.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all
*	Reprints <>
*	Save <>
*	Share <>
*	Del.icio.us <javascript:articleShare('delicious');>
*	Digg <javascript:articleShare('digg');>
*	Facebook <javascript:articleShare('facebook');>
*	Newsvine <javascript:articleShare('newsvine');>
By STEVE LOHR
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/l/steve_lohr
/index.html?inline=nyt-per>
Published: October 8, 2007
Even the nation's elite universities do not provide the technical
training needed for the kind of powerful and highly complex computing
Google
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/google_inc/index.
html?inline=nyt-org>  is famous for, say computer scientists. So Google
and I.B.M.
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/international_bus
iness_machines/index.html?inline=nyt-org>  are announcing today a major
research initiative to address that shortcoming.
The two companies are investing to build large data centers that
students can tap into over the Internet to program and research
remotely, which is called "cloud computing."
Both companies have a deep business interest in this new model in which
computing chores increasingly move off individual desktops and out of
corporate computer centers to be handled as services over the Internet.
Google, the Internet search giant, is the leader in this technology. But
companies like Yahoo
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/yahoo_inc/index.h
tml?inline=nyt-org> , Amazon
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/amazon_inc/index.
html?inline=nyt-org> , eBay
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/ebay_inc/index.ht
ml?inline=nyt-org>  and Microsoft
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/microsoft_corpora
tion/index.html?inline=nyt-org>  have built Internet consumer services
like search, social networking, Web e-mail and online commerce that use
cloud computing. In the corporate market, I.B.M. and others have built
Internet services to predict market trends, tailor pricing and optimize
procurement and manufacturing.
Behind these services are data centers that typically use thousands of
processors, store countless libraries of data and engage specialized
software to tackle what scientists call Internet-scale computing
challenges. This new kind of data-intensive supercomputing often
involves scouring the Web and other data sources in seconds or minutes
for patterns and insights.
Most of the innovation in cloud computing has been led by corporations,
but industry executives and computer scientists say a shortage of skills
and talent could limit future growth.
"We in academia and the government labs have not kept up with the
times," said Randal E. Bryant, dean of the computer science school at
Carnegie Mellon University
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/car
negie_mellon_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org> . "Universities
really need to get on board."
Six universities will be involved in the initiative. They are Carnegie
Mellon, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/m/mas
sachusetts_institute_of_technology/index.html?inline=nyt-org> , Stanford
University
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/s/sta
nford_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org> , the University of
California
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/uni
versity_of_california/index.html?inline=nyt-org> , Berkeley, the
University of Maryland
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/uni
versity_of_maryland/index.html?inline=nyt-org>  and the University of
Washington
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/uni
versity_of_washington/index.html?inline=nyt-org> .
Google is building a data center, at an undisclosed location, that will
contain more than 1,600 processors by the end of the year. I.B.M. is
also setting up a data center for the initiative.
The centers will run an open-source version of Google's data center
software, and I.B.M. is contributing open-source tools to help students
write Internet programs and data center management software.
The data centers under way have a small fraction of the computing
firepower behind Google's Internet search service. But they will be big
enough, scientists say, to do ambitious Internet research. Setting up
and running such centers, including providing the electricity and
technical staff, is difficult and expensive. The two companies, a person
who was told of their plans said, have committed a total of $30 million
over two years for the project.
"This is a huge contribution because it allows for a type of education
and research that we can't do today," said Edward Lazowska, a computer
science professor at the University of Washington.
The companies' and academics' long-term goal is to expand the
data-center clusters so students from many schools can participate and
to enlist the support of other companies and the federal government.
The companies and university scientists involved in the initiative have
talked to the National Science Foundation and other agencies.
The collaboration began after a meeting in December between Eric E.
Schmidt, chief executive of Google, and Samuel J. Palmisano, I.B.M.'s
chief executive, at Google's headquarters in Mountain View, Calif.
In an interview on Friday, Mr. Schmidt recalled that he had sketched out
his vision of cloud computing on a whiteboard, emphasizing its potential
economic and social importance, and urged the I.B.M. chief to cooperate
to build the skills needed.
At the time, Mr. Palmisano said, he had just come out of a day of
technology briefings at I.B.M., and his company is doing a lot of
research in the same field. I.B.M. also has deep knowledge and
experience in building and managing complex data centers.
Mr. Schmidt said, "I.B.M. has some of the best technology in the
industry, and we couldn't have done this without them."
Mr. Palmisano noted that cooperation between the two companies was
easier because Google is mainly a consumer company, while I.B.M.
concentrates on the corporate market. "We're more complementary than
anything else," Mr. Palmisano said. "We don't really collide in the
marketplace."
And by helping university students, I.B.M. and Google hope to help
themselves in the marketplace.
"We're trying to create the easiest possible on-ramp for universities
into this world of cloud computing," said Stuart I. Feldman, a vice
president of engineering at Google and a former senior researcher at
I.B.M. "But yes, this kind of computing is core value to Google and
I.B.M. We have an interest, no doubt."

Mark Linesch :  Hewlett Packard : ESS Software
281-514-0322 (Tel) : 281-414-7082 (Cell) : mark.linesch at hp.com