[Ogf-affiliates] Welcome!

Steve Crumb scrumb at ogf.org
Thu Mar 13 15:21:16 CDT 2008

All,

As promised at our OGF22 meeting, I have established a new email list called
ogf-affiliates.  My hope is that we can use this list to announce important
activities in our respective communities and activate the two-way channel of
communicate that the affiliate program is intended to facilitate.

I enjoyed our conversation in Cambridge and was glad to get updates from
each of your on important activities in each organization.  I look forward
to future discussions, whether they be electronic or face to face.

I have two orders of business.  First, I want to make sure that any other
appropriate individuals from your organizations are subscribed to this list.
Currently, I just have one party from each organization, so if there are
others whom you believe should be on this list, send their email addresses
to me and I will add them.  Second, as promised, I wanted to solicit your
support for the recently launched, OGF Thought Leadership Series
(www.ogf.org/TLS).  Let me take a few moments to introduce you to the
series, what is intended to be, and why it is important for you to consider
participating.

As you are already aware, OGF is a global community.  Individuals repeatedly
tell me, via conversation or in surveys, that the primary value of OGF is
the networking that occurs within our community.  I'm sure most of you have
experienced this personally, but not everyone has the funding or the ability
to attend OGF events to experience this first hand.  Contact with thought
leaders and grid experts is something that we want to encourage at our
events, but also make available virtually in various ways.  One way to
extend this contact to the broader virtual community is through this Thought
Leadership Series (TLS).  The TLS, simply put, is a collection of
perspectives from people at all levels of the community (leadership, in the
trenches, and everywhere in between) that should be considered, and perhaps
even argued, in the broader community.  A good example of this was the
reprint of Ian's blog on grids and clouds.  Ian's perspective that clouds
are really grids in slightly different clothing is one that OGF believes
should be considered and debated within our community.  As an extention of
the TLS postings, we've also included a discussion mechanism where people
can present contrary perspectives or agree whole-heartedly.  So, in summary,
we hope the TLS to become a meeting place to discuss interesting and even
controversial topics about grids.  The success of the TLS will depend on the
content we post, how well we engage readers, and how much discussion occurs
over the posted content.

Here's where you all come in.  We are extending invitations on a regular
basis to people in the community that we believe could provide good,
thought-provoking content.  I know that each of you know of people in your
community that could contribute something as simple as Ian's blog entry or
other content that presents a perspective that would be interesting to the
community.  I invite you to not only solicit content from your communities,
but also encourage your community to read the TLS content and engage in the
dialog.  Everyone in our community is busy, so I do not expect 100%
participation, but the broader we cast the net, the more fish we may catch.
So, spread your net broadly and let's see what happens.

I think it is important for you to understand twotypes of content we are NOT
looking for.  First, we are not looking for long, technically-heavy,
academic papers.  We want simple, straight-forward perspectives that are
easy to read and digest.  Second, we are not looking for pure marketing
presentations.  While I'm not suggesting products cannot be discussed, we do
not want this to become a marketing channel for organizations pushing their
solutions.

By way of process, there is a submission link on the URL above or you may
simply email submissions to thoughtleadership at ogf.org.  Our current "review
team" is the Management Steering Committee including Professor Geoffrey Fox
(Indiana University), Robert Fogel (Intel), Chris Smith (Platform
Computing), Craig Lee (OGF President), and myself.

Let me know if there is any thing more I can do and I look forward to more
interaction on this new email list.

Thanks,

Steve Crumb
Executive Director, Open Grid Forum