[occi-wg] Questions about OCCI Monitoring

Augusto Ciuffoletti augusto at di.unipi.it
Wed Mar 23 06:00:29 EDT 2016

Yes, your understanding is correct. More specific answers inline in your
text.

> Hi,
>
> I have questions about OCCI Monitoring.
> I read the specifications [0] and the Slideshare's presentation [1] of
> Augusto Ciuffoletti.
>
> I would like some clarifications, just be sure I understand correctly the
> scope of this specification.
> In the same way than OCCI Infrastructure provides an API to create
> infrastructure resources (virtual machines, network configurations...),
> OCCI Monitoring allows to configure probes and measures collection. So,
> assuming I have a model of OCCI resources associated with the following
> Software architecture...
>

> ... that is to say machines, network and storage resources (IaaS),
> applicative resources (web server, application server, database - and
> assuming I wrote OCCI extensions for them), then OCCI Monitoring would
> allow me to configure their monitoring through a single (REST) API. One API
> to configure the monitoring of several cloud layers / providers. So far, so
> good, right?

Yes

> What is not clear to me for the moment is the following.
> Does this API also allow to request directly a sensor? Assuming I have a
> sensor that collect CPU usage, is it this same API that can give me the
> probe's value (i.e. the CPU usage at this specific moment)? This is not the
> same question than "can I implement a sensor / collector / publisher that
> makes my monitoring data available through a REST service" (to this, the
> answer is definitely yes). For what I understand, the answer is no. OCCI
> Monitoring is about monitoring configuration, not about monitoring itself.
> An API that implements OCCI Monitoring is not an API that exposes a probe
> as a REST service (or at least, it is not its spirit).

Yes, the description of the implementation of the
measurement/processing/delivery activity is not in the scope of
OCCI-monitoring. But you have the hooks to attach a specific implementation
to a given sensor or collector. That is, to say that a given collector
measures the cpuload of a given core, or the average traffic on a webserver
by using the OCCI monitoring interface. The hooks are provided by the mixin
mechanism: you instantiate your collector, and next you attach to it the
cpuload mixin that you have defined and implemented. The collector is
totally abstract, and you add meaning with mixins that you define. The same
for the sensor, that processes and publishes the aggregated measurements.

This has the great advantage of letting users keep the rendering /
> analyzing tools they want.

Yes: the users define the mixins and plug them into the entities.

> I was also wondering whether there were real implementations of OCCI
> Monitoring.

There are currently two prototype implementations: one in Java, another in
Ruby. The difference between the two is that the first one is as
"elementary" as possible (sockets, rmi, pipes), while the other exploits
advanced tools like websockets, lightweight servers and such. I have a
paper describing a Ruby docker-based implementation of the whole thing,
where OCCI entities are implemented as Docker containers. It should be open
access here <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.09.232>. I can send you
a copy anyway.

> I saw Augusto will present "Beyond Nagios - Design of a cloud monitoring
> system" in Rome, in April. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend
> it. What level of maturity does it have?

Maybe you are at SOSE in Oxford next week? I'm going to be there, and in
case we can meet.

It is difficult for me to understand the level of maturity of an idea of
mine. I'd say that it is ready for a real scale experiment.

There is a journal paper
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0920548916000027> with a
more detailed description of the monitoring interface that is already
available in its web version, and should be published around May. Probably
free access until April 12, but again, if you can't download just ask me.

Bye

Augusto