[occi-wg] Special Session about OCCI at Closer 2016

Boris Parak xparak at mail.muni.cz
Tue Mar 22 11:19:50 EDT 2016

Hi Alan,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Sill, Alan <alan.sill at ttu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Augusto,
>
> Thanks for this information. A couple of points and observations are below.
>
>    1) When I suggested a special session for an OCCI WG meeting, it was with
> the idea in mind that of course OGF sessions that result in contributions to
> documents need to be run according to OGF IP rules, with sign-in sheets and
> acknowledgement forms etc. in order to protect the integrity of the IP
> process that produces these documents. Hence these are usually extra,
> separate sessions that are not mixed with conference sessions.
>
>   2) Thijs has separately clarified that the OCCI 1.2 document set is
> considered complete, and I believe that it is in front of the OGF GFSG now
> for final review. Jens can clarify its exact status. If there are any
> changes that are needed to this document set before publication, we need to
> know right away.

AFAIK, there are no changes to existing documents and the review
process can continue. If Jens could provide a brief update on the
status of the final review, that would be great.

> My suggestion for an implementation community group would be to gather
> people together specifically around the idea of promoting progress on OCCI
> 1.2 implementations as rapidly as possible to take advantage of the recent
> document work. Of course, people are welcome to present conference papers
> and talks as they like, but I was hoping to encourage a more coordinated
> effort.
>
> Please let us know if you need OGF sign-in sheets for a document-oriented
> meeting for the items proposed by Boris, and if it will be possible to
> arrange a special session to focus on this (or on the community
> implementation group) beyond the papers at the conference itself.
>
> Alan

Boris

> [...]
>> interested though not directly involved in OCCI. I'd concentrate in this
>> time slot the discussions and briefs that are not too technical, and that
>> give a perspective of OCCI activity. We can arrange a further (or even
>> preliminary) meeting to discuss more technical issues: I guess we have
>> plenty of places where to meet, and in case I'll ask for further
>> availability to Closer.
>>
>> As for financial issues, the secretariat pointed out that the participants
>> need to register to the main conference. No words about a financial
>> participation of OGF. I asked if this was appropriate, but the reply was
>> that the participants need to register, nothing else. So, if OGF wants to
>> help the participants...
>>
>> In the next week we will try to finalize the agenda using the info
>> provided by Jean, Boris, and by all those that have not yet replied. I'd
>> like to have a word about that from Andy and Thijs.
>>
>> Augusto

>>> Hi,
>>> I'll be there.
>>> Some topics I can present something about below.
>>>
>>> Le jeudi 17 mars 2016 à 20:51 +0100, Boris Parak a écrit :
>>>
>>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Augusto Ciuffoletti
>>> <augusto at di.unipi.it> wrote:
>>>

>>> We have a two-hours session scheduled during the conference: it is our
>>> session, and we can organize it in the way that better fits our needs,
>>> provided that the four scheduled talks take place. For instance, if we
>>> reduce the length of the presentations to 20 minutes (instead of 30), 40
>>> minutes are left for discussion, briefing or whatever. Also, I am rather
>>> confident that Closer would be happy to allow the utilization of the same
>>> room for an extended time slot (thought I'd need to check and ask for
>>> this).
>>>
>>> So there is really the opportunity to capitalize on this Special Session:
>>> we
>>> just need a widely agreed definition and purpose for the additional
>>> activity
>>> that we want to carry out (agenda). It would be great if this could help
>>> the
>>> delivery of the pending documents (OCCI 1.2 and monitoring).
>>>
>>> A formal announcement, according with Jean's suggestion, should be based
>>> on
>>> a work plan: is there any plan of this sort?
>>>
>>> We don't have anything specific yet, but I have a few suggestions. If
>>> we can agree on some of them or perhaps add new ones, we should have
>>> enough for an OCCI WG meeting.
>>>
>>> 1.) Review of OCCI 1.2 -- summary, late feedback, status of documents,
>>> discussion on changes which didn't get into OCCI 1.2
>>> 2.) Implementations of OCCI 1.2 -- short & long term plans, forseeable
>>> challenges, project roadmaps
>>>

>>> 1-2 slides on OCCIware current status and roadmap.
>>>
>>> 3.) Extending OCCI's query interface -- in-depth discussion on query
>>> interface extensions, multi-location set-ups, advertising endpoints,
>>> 4.) Towards OCCI 2.0 -- plans for the future, preliminary discussions,
>>> roadmap
>>>

>>> Some inputs on that:
>>> * attributes types refinment
>>> * possible links with OpenAPI / Swagger ?
>>>
>>> 5.) Filtering in OCCI -- this discussion is long overdue :-)
>>> 6.) Transport protocol extensions -- perhaps AMQP, any other ideas?