[occi-wg] Documents for OCCI rev 1.2

Augusto Ciuffoletti augusto at di.unipi.it
Wed Mar 25 03:24:57 EDT 2015

I agree with Alan.

IMHO:
REST abstracts certain features from HTTP, in order to have a guideline to
implement better Web applications. It is strongly bound to HTTP (so I do
not consider as a problem to have HTTP examples in our doc) but it is not
tightly bound to that transport. Section 4 of the 2002 paper by Fielding
and Taylor describes the REST architectural elements without reference to
HTML. In sect. 5 they use HTTP, together with other protocols, to describe
an example, and they explicitely note that "Although the Web’s primary
transfer protocol is HTTP, the architecture includes seamless access to
resources that originate on many pre-existing network servers..." (in sect.
5.2). And section 7.2 is entitled "REST applied to HTTP".

However the point raised by Alexander is relevant, and should be clarified
in the paper.

Augusto Ciuffoletti
Dipartimento di Informatica
Università di Pisa