[occi-wg] XML to represent an instance

Augusto Ciuffoletti augusto at di.unipi.it
Wed Oct 23 05:53:39 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Jean has recently proposed the formalization of the core model as an XSD
schema. This is useful as a clean description of the model, and makes
possible to validate the specialization of this model to represent more
specific models. We have two examples for this: infrastructure and
monitoring described as compliant XML files.

I considered another use of XML for the representation of an *instance* of
a system (a monitoring system in my case). This kind of representation has
two relevant functions: one is that it gives the ability to check certain
requirements (e.g., that required attributes are present), the other is
that it can drive the activity of the cloud management system. My question:
is this related with the OCCI roadmap?

To go to the attached XML, it is a representation of the example given in
the document (the figure is also attached). Some relevant options I use:
-) Mixins are represented as distinct stanzas in the XML document.
-) Links are defined "inline", inside the origin resource
Of course, it is possible to write an XSD, but I'd like to collect opinions
about the overall approach.

Comments?

--
Augusto Ciuffoletti