[occi-wg] OCCI XML schema updates

Jean Parpaillon jean.parpaillon at free.fr
Fri Nov 1 11:01:12 EDT 2013

Hi all,
Thanks to your feedback, and specially Augusto's, I have updated the XML
description of OCCI. I have pushed them to the xml-data-format branch of
ogf repository.

== Summary of modifications:

1/ added a 'manifest' top level element to group entities.
Rationale: with HTTP transport, the semantic of HTTP commands can be
used by a consumer to request creation of resources. In a generic
transport (file, for instance), we need to specify a container for each
kind of request.
2/ add a status attribute to extensions. I've been inspired by XMPP way
of extending the protocol:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0001.html#approval-std

== Unresolved questions:

As I've seen with the example of monitoring instance description, a
resource with a lot of mixins can be difficult to read (for a human) as
there is no distinction on the origin of attributes.
In text/plain and text/occi description, this list is flat, due to the
HTTP protocol.

I propose attributes to be group by mixin in an entity description. For
instance:

<occi:resource ... >
  <occi:kind scheme="..." term="..." />

  <!-- Attributes defined by the kind -->
  <occi:attribute name="attr1" value="value1" />
  <occi:attribute name="attr2" value="value2" />
  <occi:attribute ... />

  <occi:mixin scheme="..." term="..." >
    <!-- Attribtues defined by the mixin -->
    <occi:attribute name="attr4" value="value4" />
  </occi:mixin>
</occi:resource>

Best regards,
--