[occi-wg] xml for occi-monitoring

Jean Parpaillon jean.parpaillon at free.fr
Fri Nov 1 06:17:48 EDT 2013

Hi Augusto,
I had a look at your document and I have some comments:

1/ as of RFC2606, example.com and example.org are reserved domain for
documentation purposes;

2/ While it's perfectly fine for me to let provider decide metrics he
wants to expose, I think a minimum of interoperability requires a
standardized list of them.

It would be a hard task to make the job again which was done succesfully
over the years by SNMP community. I am thinking about a way to translate
SNMP MIB variables into OCCI.
We may define MIBs as a mixin to associate to a sensor, for instance:

<occi:mixin title="SNMP MIB"
  scheme="http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/monitoring#" term="mib"
use="optional" >
  <occi:applies scheme="http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/monitoring#"
term="sensor" />
  <occi:attribute name="name" type="string" /><!-- eg IP-MIB -->
  <occi:attribute name="id" type="string" /><!-- eg .1.3.6.1.2.1.4 -->
</occi:mixin>

This is not complete, of course, but would rely on SNMP set of metrics
for providing a good level of interoperability between monitoring providers.

Best regards,
Jean