[occi-wg] [nsmwg] Groups - TR_178_V2012-0921_V0-3.docx uploaded

Augusto Ciuffoletti augusto at di.unipi.it
Mon Oct 15 10:28:31 EDT 2012

Alex,

as you know, inside the OGF working group OCCI (stands for Open Cloud
Computing Interface) we are trying to define the guidelines for SLA in
clouds. With this aim I tried to modularize the complex issue of SLA
as-a-whole into a few sub-problems. Per se the SLA topic extends from
the definition of legal details to performance measurement: definitely
too much for a single document that wants to give precise guidelines. So
I started by extracting the resource monitoring sub-problem.

Such functionality is present in many aspects of distributed
computing, and exhibits a sufficiently simple (and sufficiently
understood) interface with other components. In our perspective the
specification of the monitoring infrastructure does not include
neither the indication of relevant metrics, nor the technology used to
retrieve them: we focus on the arrangement of sensors attached to
resources, that may accept as "plugins" specific measurement tools, as
well as measurement aggregators and publishing supports.

In DMTF IS0102 there are sparse references to such a monitoring
infrastructure, and its role is explicitly addressed (for instance in
section 7.8). While reading your document "TR178 Enabling e2e Cloud
SLA Management" the topic is covered in better detail. While defining
the tightly related topic of metrics (in sect.  3.4 of version 0.3),
you notice the importance of defining how metrics are used, and on the
existence of a reliable infrastructure for resource monitoring that
ensures comparable results. In section 4.3 you state that a *well
defined service* must give the consumer some access to monitoring
facilities, with an interface mediated from a TM Forum document.

The interest for an agreed definition of the monitoring infrastructure
is implicit in a number of *future work recommendations* in your
document (sect. 6): Recommendation 4 asks the inclusion of the
description of the *container of service metrics* as a part of the
Service Template, Recommendation 6 indicates the definition of metrics
as a continuous effort, and thus mandates a flexible infrastructure
for their management.

This given, I consider you are probably interested in the working draft
about the resource monitoring infrastructure I have recently proposed
to the OGF-OCCI working group. The purpose of the document, in the
spirit of OCCI, is to define an interface to the resource monitoring
infrastructure. The interface follows a restful approach, and gives
the way to create, configure and discover resource monitoring entities.

I hope that the ideas contained in the document are helpful for your
task, and I will be pleased to receive any comment about the
document (that you find in attachment) from your community.

Faithfully,

Augusto

--
Augusto Ciuffoletti