[occi-wg] OCCI Core Errata Draft (update)

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Oct 2 09:51:04 EDT 2012

Hi Ralf,

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Ralf Nyren <ralf at nyren.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 12:48:54 +0200, Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net> wrote:
>> Hi Ralf, all,
>>
>> I had a quick look over the document.  It looks good to me in general,
>> nice job!
>
> Hi Andre, thanks for taking the time to read the document!
>
>> Two small comments:
>>
>>   - 'Errata Draft GFD-P-R.183'
>>
>>     This is not an errata document, but a new GFD document (no matter
>>     if it keeps the number or not). The document should thus be
>>     clearly marked as a new revision of the OCCI Core specification,
>>     which *contains* Errata.
>
> Ok. Let me know what should be there and I will update the draft document.

Updating the 'status' section and removing the 'errata' part from the
number should solve this.

> The purpose of "Errata Draft" at this stage was just to inform that this
> is not a final published document. It is still a draft. Maybe I should have
> removed the document number altogether.
>
>>     A sentence in that respect in the
>>     'Status of this Document' section would be good.
>
> Good point. What is common to put into "Status of this Document" at this
> point in the OGF document process?
>
> (I have to start doing my homework in OGF processes...)

:-)  GFD.152 (http://ogf.org/documents/GFD.152.pdf) is the one you
want to look at, as author.

The status section is prescribed, but actually ill defined.  It is
supposed to convey to the casual (OGF-acronym unaware) reader what
this document represents (informational, specification, proposed spec
etc, but also revision, possibly dependent specs, intended audience).

>>     A statement
>>     about how that revision / how thee errata influence depending
>>     specs (OCCI infrastructure, OCCI renderings) would also be useful
>>     and clarifying.
>
> np, I can add that. Where do you want it in the document?

At the end of the intro, where relation to other docs is already placed?

>>   - errata section 6.
>>     - <pedantic> please add a page break before that section </pedantic>
>
> Sure, just didn't bother with LaTeX beautification last night. Will fix.

:-)

>>     - for each item, it would be great if you could add a short
>>       statement if that item has any consequences for implementors of
>>       the earlier revision, in particular for backward compatibility.
>
> Will do.
>
> Btw, is Section 6 a good location for the Errata summary? Or should it go
> further down, e.g. after glossary?

section 6 is fine IMHO, an appendix would also work, and is possibly
more common, to leave the spec text itself 'cleaner'.

Thanks, Andre.

> regards, Ralf
>

>> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Ralf Nyren <ralf at nyren.net> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have updated the OCCI Core document to include the feedback on the
> last
>>> errata draft.
>>>
>>> Please find a PDF attached and refer to the Git commit log [1] for
>>> details.
>>>
>>> The document now contains an Errata Summary and is (in my view) close
>>> its
>>> final state. If you have any pending corrections for OCCI Core now is
> the
>>> time to speak up!
>>>
>>> Very important to read and provide feedback on the Core errata update
> and
>>> the JSON Rendering spec.
>>>
>>> regards, Ralf
>>>
>>> [1]