[occi-wg] OCCI-Monitoring paper

Augusto Ciuffoletti augusto at di.unipi.it
Thu Nov 29 03:58:00 EST 2012

Paul,

my position regarding the publication of metrics (as well as for monitoring
techniques) is that there are many, and more are going to be introduced in
the future. I consider as a mistake to freze them inside a document for
basic interoperability. Instead, the basic document must specifiy where and
how the specific technique can be plugged in. The specific technique (in
your case, push of monitoring results) can later be specified in another
document: the basic remains valid while the more specific has room to
evolve.

Think for instance to the RTP protocol: one basic protocol, and many
"profiles". The RTP protocol is still there, while multimedia formats have
gone through a fast evolution. If the RTP had included the MPEG protocol,
it should have been updated frequently...

In the specific case of the OCCI monitoring, there is a "Publisher" entity
that is the empty container for the specification of the publishing
technique: there you can include the attributes that describe your specific
technique as a Mixin. Of course, OCCI may later decide to publish a
document to specify what are the conformant attributes for the pushing
technique: would you like to write it?

In attachment there are the slides of the seminar given at Zurich. I am
currently elaborating a new draft, after a profitable discussion in Zurich,
trying to simplify and improve consistency. I hope to release it by
mid-december.

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce you that in May there will be
a Special Issue on Cloud Interoperability during the Closer conference in
Aachen (deadline March 1st).
More info:  http://closer.scitevents.org/SpecialSessions.aspx

Augusto