[occi-wg] Action description in resources

Feldhaus, Florian florian.feldhaus at gwdg.de
Fri Jul 20 04:09:08 EDT 2012

Hi,
Am 19.07.2012 um 22:13 schrieb Ralf Nyren:

> Hi,
>
> Actions can be a bit tricky, we have to distinguish between the following two cases:
>
> 1. The set of Actions defined for a certain type (e.g. Compute). This information is static and presented by the Kind object describing the Compute type.
> 2. Actions currently applicable to a particular instance, e.g. a Compute object. This is a subset of (1) and varies over time.
>
> The "actions" JSON-object you see in the Resource/Link presentation refers to (2) applicable actions.
>
> From a pure OCCI Core perspective only the category identifier would indeed be necessar. However, for client convenience a link is provided which will executed the action if POST'ed to.
>
> Florian, what do you say about reducing the applicable actions list to just a JSON-list of category identifiers? The drawback would be that a client always must supply a JSON Action payload to invoke an action when POST'ing to the resource.

We would definitely be supported by Jamie if we just listed the action category identifier as this is the compact way to specify the action. One thing we do have to specify then would be the way how links are invoked. This may indeed be a good solution as we already specify how actions should be invoked (e.g. by adding something like ?action=term to the URI of the resource) in OCCI Rendering 3.4.3.

We would have to change the action part of resource and link from
actions & array of objects & Applicable actions as defined in~\ref{tbl:format_action} & mutable & 0..* \\
actions & array of strings & List of Category identifiers of actions applicable to the resource instance & mutable & 0..* \\

Any objections, comments?

Cheers,
Florian