[occi-wg] Action description in resources

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Thu Jul 19 16:13:15 EDT 2012

Hi,

Actions can be a bit tricky, we have to distinguish between the following
two cases:

1. The set of Actions defined for a certain type (e.g. Compute). This
information is static and presented by the Kind object describing the
Compute type.
2. Actions currently applicable to a particular instance, e.g. a Compute
object. This is a subset of (1) and varies over time.

The "actions" JSON-object you see in the Resource/Link presentation refers
to (2) applicable actions.

 From a pure OCCI Core perspective only the category identifier would
indeed be necessar. However, for client convenience a link is provided
which will executed the action if POST'ed to.

Florian, what do you say about reducing the applicable actions list to
just a JSON-list of category identifiers? The drawback would be that a
client always must supply a JSON Action payload to invoke an action when
POST'ing to the resource.

regards, Ralf