[occi-wg] Comparison of OCCI and CIMI cloud infrastructure management specifications

Alan Sill Alan.Sill at ttu.edu
Tue Jan 10 20:42:11 EST 2012

Hi Frederic,

Thanks for the visit and coffee today, and it was nice to meet with you, Bob, Viktor and Mike out at NIST.

You had expressed some interest in comparing the OCCI and CIMI cloud infrastructure management specifications.  The OCCI standards are documents GFD 183, 184 and 185 in the OGF "Grid Final Document" series already published and available at

http://www.ogf.org/gf/docs/?final&all

The CIMI specification is also in multiple parts, and is available as a set of "work in progress" documents on the DMTF site at

http://www.dmtf.org/standards/cloud

(near the bottom of the page, with some drafts expiring in mid-March).

I believe that the DMTF cloud management working group is moving towards a release of a "1.0" version of the CIMI spec within a few months, perhaps sooner or later depending on their assessment of completeness.

OCCI is at version 1.1 of the specification.

Your thoughts and feedback in both directions, and any comments or questions you may have when comparing the specifications, would be extremely welcome.  The more detailed these questions and comments, the better!

Please let me know if we can help in this comparison in any way.

Alan

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics, TTU
Vice President of Standards, Open Grid Forum