[occi-wg] Consider JSON Schema for OCCI

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 16:38:38 EDT 2012

Hi,

json-schema and HAL are for two different purposes.

json-schema is a generic definition language that can be applied for
validation, much the same as xsd is used for xml, as well as other
definition use cases.  A validator for json-schema has already been
created, we can use the tool to experiment and conceptualize a
technology path.  Due to the structure of json-schema, it can transverse
aspects of of systems concerns and be used to define capabilities, IDLs
and other system artifacts. It already includes properties that can be
used to support rudimentary negotiation mechanism for capabilities and
evaluate compliance.

In the json-schema community, there are proposals for self-referencing
as a interesting mechanism for version management.  Additionally,
through self-referencing, we can augment json-schema to include a
broader life-cycle definition to include specification revisions and
compliance levels. Compliance can also serve as a contract between
parties and can gateway to SLAs and other obligation defining agreements.

If we were to move in the direction of a pure IDL/linking technology, I
would strongly recommend evaluating OASIS'TOSCA
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=tosca> The
TOSCA work, in xml, can be easily and directly transformed to json. A
json-schema could be created to support TOSCA-json as a validator and a
compliance contract.

If I find time, I'll evaluate the linking mechanism in HAL proposed by
Micheal. As part of the evaluation, I will be looking at how it aligns
to capabilities defined W3C linking proposals

cheers,
gary
.