[occi-wg] About clock synchronization in the cloud

Augusto Ciuffoletti augusto.ciuffoletti at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 11:32:31 CDT 2011

Thank you for your replies, first...

Here my point is that clock synchronization is irrelevant in many (possibly
all) current use cases, but is essential for others that are just potential.
The user that hits such a use case is unable to implement clock
synchronization in the cloud (as far as I know), so he/she may be happy to
pay an extra to have a clock within 1 second from UTC on certain VMs, and
add a new use case. The simplest idea that comes to my mind (maybe wrong) is
to provide clock specs through a mixin.

The boundary of "what is subject to a SLA" is subtle. But a feature included
in a SLA is somewhat static, and does not (necessarily) go through the user
interface. Clock synchronization is a switch you can set on/off, and that
requires specific actions on the side of the IaaS provider.

I would be happy to know if anybody experienced the case where a lack of
synchronization in the cloud was a problem. If only  I'd know what PDC is

Augusto

Augusto Ciuffoletti
Via Milano 118
38122 - Trento