[occi-wg] Link specification

Csom Gyula csom at interface.hu
Thu Sep 2 03:02:32 CDT 2010

[1] Yep I've caught it:) When first reading the drafts I missed the UML diagram Andy pointed at.
Now the diagram clarifies the situation on source resources and some texts could further clarify
it as you pointed at. However I had/have still some question regarding target resources.

Yesterday, I've got just a minor, documentation question regarding binary associations (see my
previous emall for details). However after thinking more about the topic, I've found another one
regarding the behaviour. Take the following example:

The user creates a new compute using some networks and disks, ie. define links to some network
and disk. The compute is then deployed and soon becomes up and running. Then later the user
deletes some network and disk... well, maybe she forgets about that they are used within some
running compute. According to the implicit delete behaviour the computes will "loose" its disks and
networks which might mean that it becomes unusable.

I think deleting source resources with links is a natural behaviour since links are in fact "owned"
by the sources. However this might not be the case with target resources, hence alternatives
might be examined as well - like:

* No delete - The system prevents from deleting a target resource with exisiting links pointing to it.

* Graceful delete - New resources cannot use the deleted target resource, but existing ones still can.
That is the target resource will be "fully" deleted when all exising links pointing to it are deleted as well.

* Warning on delete - In such cases the system issues a warning before deleting the target
resource which must be confirmed by the client. This is related to another topic, namely to
reverse links [2].

* Force or immediate delete - The original behaviour where the system silently deletes the target
resource and its associated links (pointing to it).

Gyula