[occi-wg] Renaming the "Link" base type

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 04:12:44 CDT 2010

  Hi Gyula,

You hit one of the areas of occi that pushed off to a later version of
the specification and a very real issue for the whole of cloud
computing. You should join Steve Holcombe's linked in group "data
ownership in the cloud". It been a bit dead lately ...

  Occi's general approach towards ownership and credentials was
adopted/inherited from http.  The http 1.1 spec supplies a mechanism  to
initiate authentication requests, transfer authentication credentials
and return authentication request responses. It does not  provide any
approach or mechanism to manage credentials.  Authorization is implied
to some set of resources residing behind the authenticator gate, where
another set of constraints, outside of the http scope,  guide any need
of additional authentication and authorization.

Our requirements for credential management introduces use cases not
currently addressed by http specification.

Ownership has been a area of interest for several groups over the past
few years. Governance, stewardship, custodial practices, and authority
are always buzzing around, but little progress is made. Legal issues and
the lack of standard practices are high hurdles to clear.

Credential management has issues as complex the data ownership.
Ownership is governed by negotiated policies, however, local, regional
and national mandates impact provider management capabilities. For
example, if a set of provider created credentials need to be changed by
the consumer, a much different set of capabilities are required than if
credentials created then email to the consumer.

I've been struggling with proposing an approach for occi. I feel that
occi should contain a meta data object that "links" to a credential
instantiation and its associated meta data.

In the occi domain there may be several actors creating credentials. In
cases consumers may share credentials between users accessing a common
resource. In other cases, each resource consumer has unique credentials.

Consumers may have access to an external resources through a proxy. The
proxy may require unique credentials from each consumer. The connection
between the proxy and the provider may have a different credential
hidden from the consumers.  An example of this type of resource is data
libraries with a corporate account employees each with their unique
credentials proxy though a common gateway with credentials to a data
provider.

Private clouds can have compute resources with multiple consoles. Each
console may have multiple credentials permitting multiple operators
access to the console.  In this case the occi administrator is supplying
the credentials to the occi configuration.  Private clouds deployed with
third party data services could also follow the user case above.

Another private cloud use case involves both authentication credentials
and encryption keys to gain access to storage data. The storage resource
would require  both credentials and a key or key identifier. The more
likely scenario is the private cloud management application would
maintain the key and automatically send it to the storage during
instantiation. That is if its not on a key card.

I have a quick breakdown:

*Credential Issuance:* (n is multiple credentials)
Immutable-ish credentials issued by a provider to the consumer.   Pn--->C
Credentials issued by the consumer to the  provider.     Cn--->P
Temporary  credentials issued by a provider, then changed by the
consumer. Pn--->C, [Cn--->P or multiple C--->P]

The pattern above can be applied to resources:

*Credential Issuance:* (n is multiple credentials)
Immutable-ish credentials issued by a Resource creator (occi system) to
the consumer.   Rn--->C
Credentials issued by the consumer to the  Resource provision
defnition.     Cn--->R
Temporary  credentials issued by a Resource creator (occi system) , then
changed by the consumer. Rn--->C, [Cn--->R or multiple C--->R]

In practicality, the creating the resource could only issue one
credential, the user credentials could be appended later. But, taking a
template of the occi system and move it to another provider a serialized
process and could be inconvenient, or a time consuming serial activity.

Introducing formalized credentials to Resources sort of  breaks the
network resource model. The network resource is actually to (2)
components, a virtual NIC and a gateway. The gateway may need
credentials to access it. If the gateway is connected to a VPN (as an
external resource), a set of credentials would have to be sent to the
VPN endpoint.

During initialization,  we need a way to communicate authentication
results fromm the occi system to the consumer.

I'm looking at the oasis kmip specification to help define some key and
certificate definition. They support certificates.

Home Page: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=kmip
Docs: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?wg_abbrev=kmip

I'll get the first swag at the section in the extension section
tomorrow.  After finishing console..

-gary