[occi-wg] Location in cloud APIs

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Mon Nov 29 05:44:54 CST 2010

Hi all,
I had a conversation with Adrian from jClouds on Thursday regarding OCCI and
jClouds. During the discussion, the important issue of location and the
provisioning of services arose. Currently jClouds are investigating the
enhancement of a Location API and would really appreciate input from us
folks here in OCCI. If any of us OCCI peeps are interested, have a look at
the mail thread here [1]. You can find more detail on the draft changes here
[2].

What Adrian is proposing is certainly richer that what we had originally
discussed in an OCCI context. Originally we had, what was then, a set of
Location Kinds that could be applied to a service request (1 or more VMs).
With a location Kind supplied with a provisioning request, the
implementation would then deploy the service instance within the correct
location. Currently, we now have an even richer mechanism, Mixins, that I
believe could easily mirror the proposed draft modifications [2] to jClouds,
with these Mixins, hence locations, being discoverable from the query
interface.

What do people think? What would you like to see in a Location API?

Andy

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/jclouds-dev/browse_thread/thread/3594bffb4743
028f