[occi-wg] OCCI Core ready for public comment version

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Mon Nov 8 05:49:26 CST 2010

Hi Michael, thanks for your feedback. Very good points you make. Reply
below.

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 05:35:34 +0100, Michael Behrens
<michael.behrens at r2ad.com> wrote:

> 2-cents: Structural and Non-Structural concept might be confusing to
> folks
> reading it the first time through. Perhaps its purpose (extensibility)
> could be
> stated before their definitions in a non normative manner. Lastly, would
> adding
> two subclass of kind (structured/unstructured) help clear things a bit?
> (The
> text seems to speak as if there are two subclasses).

Perhaps an non-formal intro text in Core would solve this. We could put
some more context behind the core model, why it exist etc, without going
into the specifics. Any objections?

Regarding structural/non-structural Kind the Kind type does not gain the
structural/non-structural property until it is instantiated. The Core doc
says in a few places that "a structural Kind" is an _instance_ of Kind
etc. However, it can indeed still be quite confusing.

Splitting Kind into two classes each inheriting Category might be a
solution. That would automatically solve the issue that a non-structural
Kind MUST NOT be related to a structural Kind. I'll see if I can draw up a
UML example. Anyone else with an opinion on this?

regards, Ralf