[occi-wg] Occi resources without titles

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 22:33:18 CDT 2010

Hi,

In the current specification, we do not require a resource "title"
attribute. However, in the examples, the specification show canonic
serialized forms of resources, collections and kinds as a URI using
identifiers that I interpret as the occi titles.

How should we handle resources created without titles.

I have a few suggestions:

1) Allow the provider to assign a resource name. Preferably using a
scheme of Resource Identifier (storage, compute, network)  plus an
number with scheme infinitely incrementing for a specific kind
collection. ie Storage01, Storage02, Storage03. If "Storage02" is
deleted, the new would be "Storage04".

2) Use the resource identifier until the title attribute is set.

3) Leave the title unset and use to resource kind to identify the resource.

4) Force an occi client to submit a resource title with each create
action. This may be impractical if the provider creates resources for you.

Number one is my favorite... other suggestion welcome..

cheers,
gary