[occi-wg] Telefonica I+D using OCCI in its open source service manager

Luis Miguel Vaquero lmvg at tid.es
Thu Jan 28 04:44:41 CST 2010

Dear all,

We are glad to have such a nice acceptance for our fully-Java OCCI
implementation. Telefónica's team would like thank you all, it was
your discussions and specifications that made this possible.

First, let me point out that it will be released by the end of the
next week (http://claudia.morfeo-project.org/). An important point for
succeeding in taking OCCI to the topmost is having wide support for
integrating a variety of underlying infrastructures (OCCI as an
enabler for public or hybrid Cloud federation). We implemented a first
"driver" letting users access UCM's OpenNebula Core. Next week we will
also release a brief tutorial on how to develop drivers for different
"infrastructure managers". In our roadmap: we plan to develop an
Amazon driver soon; we believe that supporting an OCCI community
building other drivers for their specific systems is also in OCCI's
interest.

Regarding OVF, we believe this belongs to other forum, but we'd also
like to highlight some issues. First, we would like to emphasize our
gratitude to Abiquo's team for releasing their code. This was a key
starting point for our work! Indeed, from the original 3,241 source
lines, Telefónica's team almost doubled the code size (5,323) thus
further expanding Abiquo's OVF management capabilities to suit our
needs. Not only do these needs suit Telefónica's interests, but also a
much wider spectrum of users can benefit from them as published almost
a year ago in a well known world-class conference
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1621915&dl=GUIDE&coll=GUIDE&CFID=75280084&CFTOKEN=80046203).
Importantly, this work has also been proposed for standardization in
DMTF (http://www.dmtf.org/svm08/presentation/svm08_Femin.ppt).

We truly believe this is just another example of:

1- the greatness of OpenSource as a mechanism to foster and boost
innovation and standards adoption
2- the usefulness of scientific peer review for ensuring high-quality work.

Again, thanks to Abiquo and UCM for their original seed that was so
useful for our expanded functionality OVFManager and implementing OCCI
in Java, respectively.

Regards,

--
Luis M. Vaquero, PhD.
Scientist at Telefonica Investigacion y Desarrollo.