[occi-wg] OCCI Editor Getting Started Guide (docs/README.txt)

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Mon Feb 22 02:39:29 CST 2010

Quoting [Sam Johnston] (Feb 21 2010):

> Andre,

Hi Sam,

> The intention is that the specification be available under both
> licenses (at the user's discretion).

"at the user's discretion" -- that is good to know, and should be
added to the text, IMHO.  Thanks.

> Being available under a Creative
> Commons license is [1]basically a requirement for Cloud APIs nowdays
> (much to my satisfaction) and anything else - especially the OGF
> default (which is far more restrictive than even the DMTF license!) -
> will surely stifle adoption whether justified or not.

I am not sure I see that, so please indulge me.  From a standard
specification I expect it to be freely available, and to be able to
distribute it unlimitely, and to be able to implement the described
standard w/o any penalty.  OGF IPR allows that.  What are the OGF
IPR restrictions you worry about?

CC allows the same, but *also* allows to change the document, and to
distribute that modified document again under the same terms.  What
I wonder, and sorry if I formulated that unclearly before: what is
the use case for that, i.e. what is the problem you are trying to
solve by Dual-licensing under OGF/CC?

> If that doesn't
> work for the OGF then I'll just release it under CC myself and
> remove/rewrite others' contributions (assuming they don't agree to do
> the same, which would surprise me).

Woah, full stop please: I am just curious about the licensing mode,
and ask questions about it, in order to *understand* it.  No need to
get defensive :-)

> I think the important thing in terms of the *normative* specification
> is to rely on trademark rather than copyright law - at the end of the
> day it's more effective anyway and it doesn't prevent your APIs from
> being reused by others.

I think I understand what you mean by trademark in respect to
standard specs.  I am not sure I see what you mean, that trademark
prevents your API from being reused.  Isn't that (a) the idea of
interface standardization, and (b) enforced by licenses rather than
trademarks?  I never felt compelled not to use some API just because
it has trademarks attached, as long as it was free...  Am I
misparsing your statement?

Thanks, Andre.