[occi-wg] OCCI Editor Getting Started Guide (docs/README.txt)

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu Feb 18 06:09:39 CST 2010

Afternoon all,

As you know I've been quieter than usual lately (I've been busy changing
companies/countries) but now I have a little bit of time on my hands I've
been fleshing out the OCCI spec. Much of the feedback we've received has
been that it's too abstract (which you'll recall was by design following the
format wars of 2009) so I've added some examples to help people visualise
what's going on.

I've also added the following guide to the repository as README.txt so as to
make it as easy as possible for others to get involved in the editing of the
OCCI documents. I had a clash for the call this week but understand this
issue was raised for the 17th time so hopefully this will put it to bed and
make it a lot easier for more of you to get involved - if you have any
questions you know where to find me.

Open Cloud Computing Interface (OCCI)

========

> "DocBook is a semantic markup language for technical documentation. It was
> originally intended for writing technical documents related to computer
> hardware and software but it can be used for any other sort of
> documentation."

> It was selected for OCCI in order to allow us to maintain a single source
> and publish to multiple formats:

 * HyperText Markup Language (HTML)

 * Portable Document Format (PDF)

 * Plain Text (TXT)

===============

 * Mercurial (http://mercurial.selenic.com/)

 * XML Editor (XMLmind: http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/download.shtml)

> 1. Download and install Mercurial and your preferred XML editor.

2. Get a local copy of the occi repository with this command:

     hg clone https://occi.googlecode.com/hg/ occi

3. Edit the DocBook source (Hint: TDG5 is a great resource both for getting

===========

username = John Citizen <john at example.com>

> [auth]

occi.prefix = occi.googlecode.com/hg/

occi.username = john at example.com

occi.password = LF3W8dKKJG5X7

occi.schemes = https

> You can now commit your changes (with a useful changelog entry please!)
> using:

      hg ci

      hg push

=========

> You will need DocBook tools if you want to render the DocBook XML to other
> formats (which you should do each time you check in changes):

 * DocBook XSLT (

 * Apache FOP Binaries (http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/xmlgraphics/fop
> )

> Under Mac OS X (using the default Makefile):

1. Extract docbook-xsl-ns into ~/Library/XML/XSL

2. Extract Apache FOP and copy build/fop.jar and lib/*.jar into
> /Library/Java/Extensions

> Then whenever you make changes simply run "make" to generate new HTML and
> PDF versions.

> Resources

=========

 * Official Site (http://www.docbook.org/)