[occi-wg] Revisiting Fat Links

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Tue Aug 17 11:49:31 CDT 2010

Hi all,

After more discussions and writing a sample implementation of the Link as
a resource concept I have come to realize its advantages.

I do however still believe that Fat Links are necessary to be able to
model all relevant use cases. Alexander pointed out that compared to his
Thin Link proposal Fat Links would not integrate in a sufficiently clean
way with the OCCI core model. In an attempt to address some of these
concerns I have added a new section called "Revisiting Fat Links" to the
Link & Linking page [1].

The changes from the previous Fat Links proposal are:
  - Link specialization is realized through the use of additional
categories, i.e. the same way OCCI Resource resources are extended so is
also the Link resource extended.
  - The class attribute is _not_ used to delegate the Link type. It merely
says that the link MAY be specialized. It is an indication to the client
to request Link details.
  - The rel attribute is used to delegate the type of the Link target, i.e.
as suggested by the Web Linking draft.

Comments welcome.

regards, Ralf

[1] http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/Link