[occi-wg] Removing associations between resources

Alexander Papaspyrou alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de
Wed Aug 11 06:45:37 CDT 2010

Ralf,

comments inline...

Am 11.08.2010 um 12:01 schrieb Ralf Nyren:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:33:58 +0200, Edmonds, AndrewX <andrewx.edmonds at intel.com> wrote:
>
>> Ralph, to unlink using PUT I'd see as the following. (when PUT'ting you have to PUT the full representation of the resource).
>
> Yes, that is definitely a solution. However you will only have to PUT the full
> representation of the resource as far as Links are concerned, if I understand
> things correctly.
>
> So in order to increase the memory of a compute resource the sequence would
> be:
> 1. GET /compute/xxx
> 2. Remember all Links with class='link'
> 3. Issue PUT /compute/xxx with occi.compute.memory = X and include
> all the links from step 2.
>
> In other words all Links must always by present in a PUT while only those
> attributes one wishes to change has to be present. Correct?

Sounds reasonable. OTOH, this indicates that a Link is something with its own CRUD semantics. Shouldn't this be then a resource (not Resource) as well?

>> 3. The OCCI implementation will now update the representation of that resource and carry out the provisioning system related activities, if necessary, of unlinking the resources. That deletion should remove the Compute instance to Storage instance link and any link that that Storage instance has to that Compute instance.
>
> Yep, as long as the deleting of a resource removes all Links but no other
> resources I am happy.

Let me rephrase to understand. If I delete a Resource, and other Resources have Links to it, the OCCI implementation will take care of updating (i.e. removing) stale Links automatically. That is, for a Resource A which is DELETEd and a Resource B with a Link to Resource A, a subsequent GET on B will render B without the Link to A?

Best,
Alexander

--
Alexander Papaspyrou