[occi-wg] Removing associations between resources

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Wed Aug 11 04:33:58 CDT 2010

My .2c
Storage and Network can both live happily independently, so too compute. In the scenario where there is, for example, a Compute and Storage resource linked by a "Link", is should only be that link that gets destroyed and not the related resources of Compute and Storage. Even if a Link is deleted and removing the relationship between the 2 resources, these resources are still referenceable via the "id" attribute of resource.
I'd agree with Michael and Alexander here. I would not embed any "cascade" semantics into the model. It's not an ORM-style model. If cascade-style functionality is needed this can be provided by clients and if there is enough interest in such a feature we can add it in later or position it as an extension.

Ralph, to unlink using PUT I'd see as the following. (when PUT'ting you have to PUT the full representation of the resource).
1. Lets get a representation of the resource whose link we want to remove (I'm only including the necessary parts of the request/responses for the example)

Req:
  GET /compute/vm01 HTTP/1.1

Res:
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  Link: </storage/san01>; class='link'; rel=...
  occi.compute.cores = 2

2. Lets update the resource without the link, thereby removing the link

Req:
  PUT /compute/vm01 HTTP/1.1
  occi.compute.cores = 2

3. The OCCI implementation will now update the representation of that resource and carry out the provisioning system related activities, if necessary, of unlinking the resources. That deletion should remove the Compute instance to Storage instance link and any link that that Storage instance has to that Compute instance.

Andy