[occi-wg] Removing associations between resources

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Tue Aug 10 03:21:38 CDT 2010

Hey Ralf!

Thanks for bringing this up :-) I'd whole-heartedly agree with you that having clear and simple semantics are a must especially with potentially dangerous operation like DELETE.

Semantics related to removal/deletion of Link, in my view should be divided into two separate but complimentary areas:
1) Unlinking - to unlink one resource from another the use of PUT should be used to update the appropriate resource
2) Destroying a link - to destroy a link resource it must be unlinked from dependent resources using PUT and then finally destroyed using DELETE. If a user attempts to destroy before unlinking then the server should raise an exception. That way there are no dangling references to non-existent resources.

What do you and others think?

Andy