[occi-wg] Comments, Suggested Changes for Walkthrough

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Wed Sep 30 06:18:49 CDT 2009

Hi all,
I've gone through the walk through and have a list of comments and suggested changes. I will be continuing on through the spec with a similar intention of contributing comments and suggested changes.

Thijs, if you like I can add these to the tracker unless you want to pre-process them?

I do not suggest discussing any of these via the mailing list. That discussion can happen via the issue tracker.

Andy

* General
   * Would be useful to introduce the notion of OCCI extensions in the walk through
   * A page break should be inserted to separate the walkthrough and "OCCI Core Specification"
   * Revise usage of brackets

* Paragraph 4 "resource or type of resource"
   * what's the difference here?

* Paragraph 4 "and search"
   * note that this is an extension and may not be supported in all implementations

* Paragraph 5 Bracket usage in the sentence "Certain types of accesses..."
   * would read better as: Certain types of accesses, such as a compute resource querying OCCI for introspection and configuration, may be possible anonymously in the case where the query has already been authenticated by interface and/or IP address.

* Paragraph 6 "Should you be redirected by the API to a node, storage device, etc. (for example, to retrieve a large binary representation) then you should either be able to transparently authenticate or a signed URL should be provided."
   * If the basic authentication is not cached then this transparent authentication will not happen. Is what I say a correct statement?

* Paragraph 6 "(at least not yet!)"
   * Remove this, not necessary.

* Paragraph 6 "and while OCCI standardises a number of them for interoperability"
   * We can only recommend other standards for use in OCCI not standardise them - that's the responsibility of the relevant standards body

* Paragraph 6 List of representations
   * I do not agree that a screenshot or access to console is an appropriate general entity representation like what OVF/OVA are. These items are more suitable as attributes in an entity representation (OVF/OVA/OCCI). Suggest removing or noting that they are lesser forms.

* Paragraph 7 "The client indicates which representation(s) it desires by way of the URL"
   * An example illustrating this might be useful e.g.
   * To request a HTML rendering, if supported, of a compute node issue http://example.com/path/to/compute/resource/123-123-123.html
   * The same might be for the content negotiation.

* Paragraph 8 "In addition to the protocol itself,"
   * Remove the protocol includes interaction semantics, syntax and data schemas.

* Paragraph 8 "In addition to the protocol itself, OCCI defines a simple key/value based descriptor format for cloud infrastructure resources:".
   * Reword to: "OCCI defines a simple key/value based descriptor format for cloud infrastructure resources. These infrastructure resources as defined by OCCI are:".

* Paragraph 8 Formatting
   * Embolden compute storage and network - these are core concepts to OCCI.

* Paragraph 9 Comment
   * If we say that it is trivial to translate and present an example that example should show the trivial translation. In this case we should add the XML and JSON examples.

* Paragraph 10 Starting "The primary drawback is that" ending "or HTTP 410 Gone otherwise)."
   * Is this necessary here -  might be better moved out of the walkthrough to elsewhere or just removed.

* Paragraph 10 Comment
   * Bracket usage should be reviewed.

* Paragraph 12 "UUIDs anyway"
   * Remove "anyway".

* Paragraph 12 "used instead (e.g. http://amazon.com/compute/ami-ef48af86)."
   * Any significance using this URL - better we use something fictional

* Paragraph 12 "can be safely allocated by any node"
   * What's a "node"? A resource? A resource manager?

* Section 2.3 Comment
   * A brief introduction should be inserted here.

* Paragraph 13 "POST it to"
   * What is "it"? Explicate.

* Paragraph 13 "as an HTML form"
   * More correct to say "POST the attributes and values using the application/x-www-form-urlencoded format"

* Paragraph 15 "to GET a template"
   * New concept introduced with no explanation. Explain briefly (footnote?) or drop and move discussion elsewhere in doc.

* Paragraph 15 "POST or PUT it back"
   * There are semantic differences here that should be noted to the reader.

* Paragraph 17 P18 Comment
   * It would make more sense to inform the user how to get a list of supported renders per provider first and then tell how to request it. As it initially reads it appears that 2 calls are needed.

* Paragraph 19 "There are two options:"
   * Better phrased as "There are two concepts that are supported"

* Paragraph 19 "such as searches"
   * Change to "such as the collections returned from the search extension"

* Paragraph 19 Pass-by-ref, pass-by-value
   * This is more a metaphor -  might be worth explaining what is meant by these explicitly, otherwise the reader is left to interpret.

* Paragraph 20 "Update"
   * It says to PUT but I can also update via POST and be naughty.

* Paragraph 22 Comment
   * What about "Resource Child Collections".

* Paragraph 22 Comment
   * These are in effect extensions to the core and so should be noted as such.

* Paragraph 24 "Requests"
   * Just a comment - isn't this very RPC-like something that REST aims to avoid?

* Paragraph 24 "Requests"
   * A number of request types are mentioned but nowhere in the spec are they detailed.

Andy Edmonds
skype: andy.edmonds
tweets: @dizz

Intel Ireland Limited (Branch)
Collinstown Industrial Park, Leixlip, County Kildare, Ireland
Registered Number: E902934