[occi-wg] Call to discuss OCCI attributes in HTTP headers Wed Sept 30 06:00 PDT, 9:00 EDT, 14:00 BST, 15:00 CEST

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Sep 30 04:35:01 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Gary Mazz <garymazzaferro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good luck with your move today.. I hope its somewhere nice. :-)

That's yet to be seen - I'm unconvinced but I'll still be spending a fair
bit of time in Paris and it's got to be better than "le trou du cul de la
France" where we are now.

> I do not want to spend the time discussing a shift in direction that will
> result in making the release of this document unachievable for OGF27.

It's clear that you either don't understand or don't like the concept (or
both) but did you realise that the HTTP headers allow us to avoid writing
the various renderings? These are both significant work requiring serious
attention to detail (basically stuff I think we should leave to the IETF
which is why I've been churning out Internet-Drafts for these areas) and
significant risk to interoperability... ironically those who [dis]like each
of the formats will end up having to implement all of them. The text
rendering <http://occi.googlecode.com/hg/docs/occi-text.html> basically puts
HTTP headers in the entity-body anyway so it's not a huge leap of faith to
put it in the headers (where metadata arguably belongs).

Furthermore, the metadata may conflict with the resource itself (for example
a container having more/less cores/memory than the workload specifies) which
breaks our model. By jumping into the entity-body we're essentially
contracting to provide a representation and even if lossy/incomplete it must
be correct. Consider the problem of starting a read-only VM template but
being confined to Amazon-style instance types, or instances that
resize/burst dynamically based on load. This completely breaks our model and
requires us to revisit the idea of separating container from workload (as I
originally suggested) - that *is* something I'd rather avoid doing at this
late stage.

Ultimately HTTP doesn't touch the entity-body so neither should we - that
makes for a very clear demarcation point as to what is OCCI and what is left
to other standards like OVF. While this may not seem so important right now,
it is when you start looking at cloud platform constructs like queues and
structured storage (databases).

I'll do what I can to be on both 3pm and 4pm calls (meme si elle va casse
mes couilles :P).

Sam