[occi-wg] Call to discuss OCCI attributes in HTTP headers Wed Sept 30 06:00 PDT, 9:00 EDT, 14:00 BST, 15:00 CEST

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Sep 29 19:36:19 CDT 2009

Gary,

I'm moving to another country today so it's not particularly convenient for
me (which is why I hadn't responded to your poll yet). I'd suggest
adjourning such a discussion until I can explain the pros and cons of the
three main options which will either be on the call tomorrow (assuming I'm
not carting boxes around at the time) or some time after Thursday. I'd
explain by email now but it's 02h30 and I've got a big day ahead of me...
just quickly the options (bearing in mind the payload/entity-body is
effectively opaque) are:

 - use a wrapper format for the metadata like SOAP or Atom (which neuters
many nice HTTP features like caching while adding a significant encoding
overhead, but it does give us collections)
 - use a separate resource for the metadata e.g. have
http://example.com/myvm.ovf as well as http://example.com/myvm.atom,
http://example.com/myvm.json, http://example.com/myvm.txt etc. (which is
what we had planned until recently, but which requires us to specify
renderings in various formats)
 - use the HTTP headers (which avoids the whole format discussion by using a
single, standard format which can be sent with [GET] or without [HEAD] the
payload/entity-body)

I've spent the last week running around Europe talking about Open Cloud and
OCCI too (CloudCamps in Edinburgh, London & Frankfurt among other things) so
there's not many changes - at least from me - this week.

Sam