[occi-wg] OGF Strategic Directions for OCCI

Craig A Lee Craig.A.Lee at aero.org
Wed Sep 2 17:15:09 CDT 2009

To All in the OCCI/OGF Community,

As you should know, the OCCI WG will be sending their Use Case and
Requirements document to the OGF Editor soon and is finishing their
draft specification in time for discussion at OGF-27.  Given the tremendous
interest in cloud computing, this gives the OCCI WG and OGF a set of
important opportunities that could have high visibility -- and
hopefully high impact.

I have pinged the potential implementors listed on the wiki, and as
of this email,
   * OpenNebula,
   * Cisco CTO Cloud Concept Lab, and
   * SLA at SOI
have all re-affirmed their commitment to implement the OCCI spec.

Clearly, once we have some implementations, we will be in a position
to organize a set of open IaaS cloud demonstrations.  This was
discussed on the last cloud-standards.org telecon with a very positive
reaction.  Any such demos could certainly integrate the use of other
standards, such as DMTF's OVF and SNIA's CDMI.

The exact demo scenarios to approach is clearly an important issue.
These scenarios should be ones that are important to the major
potential adopters and users of OCCI.  The large-scale, national cloud
initiatives that have been announced recently could be a good source
for such scenarios, and help drive open standards, since they will
want portability and interoperability to avoid vendor lock-in.  Hence,
OGF is actively pursuing engagement within the Japanese Kasumigaseki
Cloud, the UK G-Cloud, and the US Cloud Storefront efforts.

Finally I want caveat all of these plans -- this simply is the
strategic direction
that OGF is taking, and obviously no particular outcomes are guaranteed.
We must, however, plan ahead for the implementations that are coming.
As always, comments are welcome.

Best regards -- and I look forward to seeing you in Banff,

--Craig
Dr. Craig A. Lee, lee at aero.org
President, Open Grid Forum, www.ogf.org
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing
The Aerospace Corporation,  M1-102
2310 East El Segundo Blvd.
El Segundo,  CA  90245   USA
cell: +1-310-804-6964
office: +1-310-336-1381
fax:   +1-310-336-0613
http://www.aero.org

The Aerospace Corporation operates a non-profit,
federally funded research and development corporation.