[occi-wg] Fwd: vCloud API

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 09:21:15 CDT 2009

Hi,

I agree with Shlomo

Although useful, I see support for a special storage device like "floppy
drive" being problematic for interoperability across providers. OCCI
does support storage, which can be mapped/mounted by the operating
systems to any type of drive. Currently, OCCI does not support the
mapping of any other drives (ie hdxx, sdxx, cxxtxxsxx, A:-Z:), or any
specific storage volume placement in the operating system. Storage
device maps are relegated to the internal configurations of the
operating systems and should remain there until when or if occi decides
to support internal operating system configuration items. I find it
difficult justifying altering this strategy for a floppy configuration.

Incorporating this special case has much wider impacts to the
specification, it adds a currently unsupported feature: "mapping storage
resources to operating system devices" which has broad impacts to the
specification and will significantly increase the complexity of OCCI
implementations for many providers..

-gary