[occi-wg] Fwd: vCloud API

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Sep 2 02:36:06 CDT 2009

Shlomo,

I'd be hesitant to remove legacy support for something that someone
somewhere will need. For example you can move the encryption key for the
Windows user accounts database (SAM) to a floppy which is consulted at boot
(see q310305 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310105>), some small linux
distributions boot from floppies (or consult them for config - see gibraltar
firewall), etc.

However I'd planned to implement this as an attribute and if I remember well
they're a noun in vCloud (this is one of my main grievances about vCloud -
lots of nouns, albeit far less than its predecessors). Their API is very
similar to the current thinking for OCCI, though I think there's still a far
bit of unnecessary complexity we can boil off (which is no wonder when you
consider its roots).

Sam