[occi-wg] Terminology: containers, workloads, templates and instances

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Oct 28 19:37:15 CDT 2009

Paul,

Oh my... stackable resources eh? This actually makes a lot of sense when you
look at my proposed roadmap (attached) in which case we could end up
modelling an application running on a platform running on infrastructure.
The meta-model supports this by way of links (e.g. "up", "down") but the
concept of one person's workload being another's container wasn't something
we'd considered.

It may be safer then just to talk in terms of the resource names (currently
compute, network, storage, but potentially also things like queues,
databases, etc. in future).

   - *Template* applies to all types (e.g. "compute template")
   - *Reservation* could be used for allocated-but-unused resources (e.g.
   "storage reservation")
   - *Container* and *Workload* can still be used but depend on perspective
   (better than "job" anyway which implies batch).

Getting a reference model into the document may be a good idea (actually
Gary suggested it on the call today) but I fear that we'll find it
restrictive so it would have to be "suggested" requirement level rather than
"recommended" or "required" - as is the case for the state machine.

Sam