[occi-wg] Terminology: containers, workloads, templates and instances

Strong, Paul pstrong at ebay.com
Wed Oct 28 19:19:24 CDT 2009

Sam,

This area is always fun.  IMHO the name should be less important than
the definition of the thing that we name :o)  But that doesn't stop the
debate.

One potential problem I see with workload is that it is commonly used in
reference to an application or service or to types of such things, as in
transactional workloads, compute intensive workloads and so forth.   Is
this a problem?  Probably not as long as define it properly and the
context(s) within which to use it.

However, as you say, in the grand scheme of things one person's workload
can be another's container.  How do you intend to capture this, i.e.
that a physical server hosts a hypervisor (a kind of operating system)
that hosts a number of virtual servers that each host an operating
system (which could itself be a hypervisor) which may host one or more
JVMs, which host etc. etc.  The challenge we have is to create a model
and set of terms which is simple and clear within the context of the
current problem we are solving, which is extensible (enough) as the use
case set grows and which is reasonably consistent with other
models/definitions.  Attached is a diagram we found useful in the OGF
reference model working group.  It attempts to capture the various
conceptual layers.  You can see this is old because N1 Grid
Containers(c2003) = Solaris Containers (Zones plus Solaris cpu, mem and
network IO controls).  :o)

Anyway, in the OGF reference model we have chosen not to explicitly
separate containers and workloads, or services and resources, but rather
we have the notion of (managed) components that can have structural
relationships (hosts, is composed of) and interaction relationships
(network traffic flow, transaction flow) with other components.  These
components are specialized into Servers (physical or logical), operating
systems (which include hypervisors and traditional OSes) and so forth.
Avoiding giving the components names that imply relationships with other
components has provided some conceptual flexibility :o)  One of our
(eBay) internal tools uses this model as its basis and renders it as
RDF, allowing us to model, capture and query various patterns and
relationships within our infrastructure.

Actually this would be a good point to engage with the OGF Ref Model
group.  They (inc me) would be very interested in using OCCI to help
drive the ref model forward, to improve/correct it (ref model) and so
forth.  Our goal is something that is not necessarily exhaustive, but
rather something that is definitely useful :o)  We want to capture the
lifecycle of the components (container, workload, whatever) as well as
their structure/relationships.

Anyway you get the idea I am sure.  It would perhaps be useful to hold a
joint discussion or two with the ref model folks (mainly Dave Snelling &
I) to see whether we can help each other at all.

Cheers
Paul