[occi-wg] HTML5 at Last Call (and what this has to do with OCCI)

Andrew de Andrade andrew at deandrade.com.br
Wed Oct 28 09:06:47 CDT 2009

I haven't participated in any of the W3C processes, but I've given a
presentation on HTML5 and should be giving another one after the final
draft is published.

Here are two more major concepts from HTML5 that everyone should be aware of:

(1) "Pave the cowpaths" - Ian Hickson, the main editor for the HTML5
spec along with other colleagues did a study of the most used classes
and ids used in html 4.01 and decided to make the most common ones
into full fledged html5 tags. Examples include: <header> <footer>
where against this idea because several went against the idea of
focusing on semantics and wandered into the area of display and
display related tags. Most are in a grey zone that are arguably
semantic or visual.

(2) The biggest, most important change to HTML5 insofar as standards
are concerned is the treatment of "tag soup".  The HTML 4.01 spec
never included anything regarding user agent implementation and error
handling in case the html had errors. With compiled or interpreted
code, you'd get an error. However, with a markup language the browser
would try to make a best guess at what you were trying to accomplish
and still display the page in spite of the errors. This is the main
cause of all the incompatibilities between browsers nowadays.

(3) If you learn about HTML5 and hear something about a 2022 date to
be complete, IGNORE it. That's simply the expected date when two
full/complete, errorless user-agent implementations of the HTML5 final
spec are done. HTML5 will start to play an increasing role after the
final draft is complete later this month. After that many of the
browser makers will focus on implementing as many features as possible
according to the final draft. Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome
already implement many of the features of the HTML5 draft so far.
Internet Explorer is still lagging behind and there are some key
features such as canvas that they've still not done anything with.
Ignore Internet Explorer insofar as HTML5 is concerned. Microsoft has
practically 0% market share in the smart-phone mobile browsing market.
As that market grows in size, the importance of Internet Explorer will
fall faster and faster.

(4) You are encouraged to start playing around with HTML5 and CSS3
now. By the end of 2010 you should definitely be learning both. By
2011 and 2012 you will se both gaining a lot of importance insofar as
the number of important sites are concerned.

If you want to learn more, check out the numerous presentations online
for demos. I'd send the link to mine, but it is in Portuguese and
probably interests few if any people on this list.

Andrew