[occi-wg] Horizontal & vertical scalability in the cloud

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Mon Oct 26 13:04:10 CDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Alexander Papaspyrou <
> alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
>
>> Just as a side note: finding such a unit is an open research problem for
>> the last twenty or so years. So I wouldn't bet on finding such a thing in
>> the near future -- and arguably not within OCCI.
>>

> Thanks Alexander - I tend to agree with you and propose instead that we
> simply cater for these by way of categories (e.g. performance "bands") and
> attributes (e.g. specific benchmark figures) that are TBD and out of scope
> for OCCI.

While researching this further today I discovered that the Open Cloud
Consortium <http://opencloudconsortium.org/> has a working
group<http://opencloudconsortium.org/working-groups.html>dedicated to
this topic:

> *Standard Cloud Performance Measurement & Rating System Working Group*
>
> What if there was a simple way to compare the performance, security and
> quality of various cloud computing providers? When comparing traditional
> hardware vendors, there are standardized specifications (GHZ, GB, etc) and a
> variety of basic and application specific benchmarks, but in the cloud world
> there was no easy way for to compare "apples to apples". For many
> organizations looking to get into the cloud, predicting the performance of
> an application across two or more cloud vendors is not practical. The
> purpose of this working group is to work with the community to refine use
> cases, gather requirements, and develop benchmarks for comparing the
> performance of two different clouds.
>
> This working group is a collaborative activity with the Cloud Computing
> Interoperability Forum (CCIF).

That said, like many here I'm a "member" of the CCIF and this is the first
I've heard of this "collaborative activity". Tempted to sign up with OCC as
an "Expert" member <http://opencloudconsortium.org/membership.html> to find
out more but it doesn't look like one gets much access at this level.