[occi-wg] Horizontal & vertical scalability in the cloud

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Oct 25 22:39:03 CDT 2009

Gary,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Gary Mazz <garymazzaferro at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe we had discussed this issue some months ago (CCIF ?) and reached
> agreement that none of us wanted to be business of formulating cloud
> benchmarks. :-)

I think cloud benchmarks are relatively safe provided they are not
considered "universal" - there are a myriad tests for PC performance today
and each represents a different workload. Microsoft have got about as close
as you will ever get with their Windows 7 performance indexes, but even they
are specific to the task of running an interactive windowing interface.

> Is something like TCPC effective or any of the apache server workload stuff
> applicable, I really couldn't say.  I like the approach the UNSW took, it
> looks like a good starting point. I don't have time to contact UNSW this
> week, but it may be work while to approach them.

I think the best approach is to have trusted third-parties (like Anna's
team) conducting batteries of tests with the approval (but probably not
direct knowledge of which accounts/when) of the cloud providers. It's
certainly not realistic to have every tire kicker running their own suite of
tests and indeed to do so without prior notice could reasonably be
prohibited by terms of service. Each service would then have a set of
figures and users could use those most appropriate for their workload.

Agreed on keeping the clones to identical characteristics, I'm not sure how
> feasible that is today. But, it a good, practical way to initially define
> it.

I'd be satisfied with a "should" requirement level for clones being
identical - it's almost always going to be better that a request be
satisfied with a mix of hardware than not at all.

Sam