[occi-wg] OCCI JavaScript libarary

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Oct 25 21:49:02 CDT 2009

Ok so there was one more thing (and this is definitely the last one as it's
late already and we gained an hour today)...

Mike Kelly <http://mike.mykanjo.co.uk/> was kind enough to whip up an
example Javascript <http://jsbin.com/eyobo> proving the concept of a
web-based OCCI client and I've taken him up on his offer to convert it to an
includable script (e.g. occi.js). It would be great to see this extended
such that the user (web) interface can be interactive, asynchronous, and
take advantage of the many Web 2.0 libraries available today as there's no
reason for web consoles to remain proprietary. Fortunately all the methods
we need <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536648(VS.85).aspx> are
supported along with the ability to get/set arbitrary headers, though it
probably wouldn't hurt to also support [something like]
X-HTTP-Method-Override<http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/2.0/basics.html#UpdatingEntry>
as
a fallback for paranoid networks.

I anticipate that there will be two primary interfaces - a machine interface
(native representations) and an optional user interface (XHTML5, doubling as
XML for those who prefer it). The Javascript library would allow the
[otherwise static] user interface to be "animated" through asynchronous
connection back to the machine interface. This [should have] allowed us to
sidestep the formats debate, keep implementations simple, and still provide
for arbitrarily rich (yet standardised) web interfaces. Everybody wins (or
so the theory goes).