[occi-wg] About deleting a resource and what to return

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Oct 20 06:20:22 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Tino Vazquez <tinova at fdi.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a doubt regarding the spec. In the OpenNebula implementation,
> whenever a resource is deleted we return a confirmation message with a
> 200OK status, but I don't think this is completely adecquate. As the
> spec is not clear in this aspect (or I couldn't figure it out) I would
> like to ask which would be the best way to proceed.
>
>  Shall we return nothing but the status, the representation of the
> deleted object or rather just the ID of the deleted object? What do
> you think.

Let's ask RFC 2616:

   9.7 DELETE <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-9.7>

   The DELETE method requests that the origin server delete the resource
   identified by the Request-URI. This method MAY be overridden by human
   intervention (or other means) on the origin server. The client cannot
   be guaranteed that the operation has been carried out, even if the
   status code returned from the origin server indicates that the action
   has been completed successfully. However, the server SHOULD NOT
   indicate success unless, at the time the response is given, it
   intends to delete the resource or move it to an inaccessible
   location.

   A successful response SHOULD be 200 (OK) if the response includes an
   entity describing the status, 202 (Accepted) if the action has not
   yet been enacted, or 204 (No Content) if the action has been enacted
   but the response does not include an entity.

   If the request passes through a cache and the Request-URI identifies
   one or more currently cached entities, those entries SHOULD be
   treated as stale. Responses to this method are not cacheable.

I've created an issue <http://code.google.com/p/occi/issues/detail?id=37> to
make sure [something like] this gets added to the spec.

Thanks for your bug report.