[occi-wg] Fwd: New Version Notification - draft-dusseault-http-patch-15.txt

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 08:14:21 CDT 2009

Sam,

I'm not "attacking" the api, I'm pointing out OCCI seems to be a
diverting from the majority of ReSTful principals as many understand them.

Note  my first line: "As we move closer to practical working set of
management actions, it appears we are moving further away from ReSTful
principals."

This needs examination and OCCI should clarify what portions of ReST
will be applied and where. I'm finding under current writings about
ReST, by creating new actions, and making data uncachable (by design or
otherwise) is in opposition to some of those principals. I agree that
OCCI optimizations are non-ReSTful, the reason  for the email. I don't
agree these are all performance optimizations, most are functions that
make using OCCI practical and the API more intuitive.

I think we need better definition of ReST as it applies to OCCI. And if
the resource addressing scheme is the only applicable portion, we should
qualify that.

As for my opinion on ReST for management applications, I think it is
"snake oil' and most don't understand the impacts to management
applications. I've been looking for an analysis of protocol strategies
pertaining to ReST and small data payloads, can't seem to find one.
ReST does have its place in the world, but for practical management
applications that need to operate securely on the public internet, IHO,
most of ReST is just not a good fit as defined. After ten years, it may
be time to revisit ReST, we may need a ReSTMgt for OCCI like applications.

This is not addressing anything in "religious' context. My comments were
not directed at any specific contributors, just the type of comments
pertaining to ReST. Its a social phenomenon where questions and
challenges to ReST's applicability illicits irrationally emotional
goals with a "recommended" nondescript addressing scheme. Second.... I
didn't post my comments on ReST to this forum, you did. Don't think its
a little odd you post my "private" email to a public forum and then say
it not the proper place for this discussion ?

As for technical merits, I'll be hitting those on multiple levels later
this week. :-)

I'm glad you brought up point of RPCs, I'm not an advocate of RPCs or
state transfer methods. As long as they meet the goals and requirements
of the project and are implementable. SO what's wrong with binary RCPs
or SOAP or any other method like CORBA ? Your comments seem to indicate
you have a strong opinion against using these technologies.  The reason
why there was strong advocacy, on my part, to support multiple
interface implementations was to increase the usefulness of OCCI to
cloud communities and create opportunities for OCCI adoption. IMO, it
would be a good thing of someone adapted OCCI to a non-ReST interface
like WEBM. That would provide direct integration to tools like nagios,
tivoli, Openview and MS management console maybe increasing OCCI's value
to the communities. I'd like to see an SNMPV2  version of the interface
for the holdouts.  Supporting multiple non-ReST interfaces is an
advantage to OCCI, not a drawback!!.

cheers,
gary