[occi-wg] Fwd: New Version Notification - draft-dusseault-http-patch-15.txt

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Oct 18 06:17:24 CDT 2009

[moving this off-list discussion to the list where it belongs]

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:40 PM, <AC> wrote:

As we move closer to practical working set of management actions, it appears
> we are moving further away from ReSTful principals. Now, we have 4
> additional actions HEAD, OPTIONS,  MOVE, and PATCH over the ReST CRUD. We
> haven't even begun to here from user wanting CHECKPOINT, COPY and CLONE (a
> live checkpoint copy).

All of these verbs are useful and none of them are particularly non-RESTful
- in fact they're effectively performance optimisations:
 - HEAD allows one to retrieve metadata without the entire (possibly large)
representation
 - OPTIONS allows you to "look before you leap"
 - COPY allows a remote client to request a resource be transferred (short
for GET followed by PUT, only allows e.g. EDGE connected iPhones to
participate)
 - MOVE is like COPY, only it's short for GET-PUT-DELETE (again avoiding the
need to transfer the whole lot via the client)
 - PATCH is like PUT, only it doesn't require the entire entity to be
transferred (rather just the changes in e.g. diff format)

Without these optimised HTTP verbs it would be literally impossible to, for
example, migrate a virtual machine from one cloud to another from a client
sitting on a "slow" connection like 3G/EDGE/GPRS, or even ADSL. Note also
that they have all been standardised at some point by the IETF, either in
HTTP itself or WebDAV.

Nobody's talking about introducing our own non-standard HTTP verbs for OCCI.

Using SSL and other secure protocols, we eliminate any possibility to
> leverage existing document cache infrastructures.

No, we eliminate the possibility for *untrusted intermediaries* to cache,
which is by design.

As OCCI continues to mature towards practical design,  many aspects of ReST
> seems to be incompatible with real world management applications.  Outside
> of the resource addressing scheme, which is very similar to SNMP and
> CMIP/CMOT in concept, ReST provides very little to guide the direction of
> our technical decisions. In fact, the more I think of it, the more it looks
> like "snake oil". It appears to have a large following of "devotees",
> drinking that koolaid and blindly chant a ReST mantra. The scary part is,
> most don't have a clue of impacts or its proper application.

Attacking an API for being RESTful after it's been written (based on a clear
consensus to be RESTful no less) is not what I would call "constructive
criticism", especially when framed as a religious debate when it's not.
There are plenty of forums for such "discussion" but this isn't one of them
- we're assessing all the options on technical merit with a view to reaching
a rough consensus and producing running code (even if we're not the ones
writing it).

If you insist on having this discussion then I would suggest focusing on the
content rather than the contributors, for example by highlighting specific
instances where REST fails to deliver *and* where RPC would have done a
better job. Good luck with that.

Sam

-<AC>