[occi-wg] Fwd: New Version Notification - draft-dusseault-http-patch-15.txt

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Oct 16 05:09:47 CDT 2009

Afternoon all,

The HTTP PATCH verb is interesting in that it allows you to update a
representation without having to transfer the entire thing. It's a
space-time tradeoff in that it's a smaller transfer but you then have to
generate and apply the patch, but for large/complex representations and
remote (e.g. iPhone) users it could provide significant benefit. I wouldn't
suggest that it be required at this time given lack of implementation (e.g.
Apache) support but I've added a reference to it to OCCI as it will be
useful for some applications and I'd rather provide the functionality than
have people invent it.

It's worth noting that PATCH first made an appearance (along with LINK and
UNLINK) in the first HTTP RFCs but wasn't included in more recent releases
due to lack of implementations.

Sam