[occi-wg] Build of the document series - Changeset 126

shlomo.swidler at gmail.com shlomo.swidler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:42:15 CST 2009

Guys - great work. Here are my comments:

Core
1.2.1.2 "If none is provided the latest available version shall be
used" This is a non-testable assertion, if I understand it correctly.
What does "available" mean? Does it mean the latest version supported
on the server side? The latest version supported on the client side?
The latest version of the spec in existence?

1.3.2 Warning about peer review process - a reference to where this
process is defined should be supplied here. Likewise for warning in
1.4.1.

1.3.2.1 "if you're not sure to return immediately then give them a
resource they can monitor." A bit too informal. Perhaps: "If it is
unknown whether a response can be provided immediately then the
implementation should respond with a 202 Accepted: response that
includes a Location: header, as described."

1.4.2 Tip regarding Patch Levels has unfinished sentence. Also,
perhaps an example of how to specify a category for a newly-created or
already-existing resource is in order here.

1.4.2.1 TODO: Expland from GData docs: please do.

Infrastructure
no comments

XHTML
1.1 "For the purposes of this rendering specification we mandate
XHTML5 over HTML5 as it is valid to present HTML5 that is not
well-formed. It is served using the application/xhtml+xml Internet
media type."
Confusing. Suggested alternative:
"For the purposes of this rendering specification we mandate XHTML5 as
opposed to HTML5. This is because XHTML5 must be well-formed, whereas
HTML5 need not be, and the protocol's accessibility to machine parsers
is greatly facilitated by requiring a well-formed rendering. The
XHTML5 response is served using the application/xhtml+xml internet
media type."

1.2 What are the deficiencies in specifying modifiable properties inside a form?

HTTP Header
1.1 "This is a lightweight yet all-encompassing means to describe
infrastructure." Just infrastructure? No. Needs a more appropriate
term. Perhaps "OCCI resources"?

1.3 The example could use an explanation. "This is an example of
creating a compute resource, specifying only its id and an alternate
representation. The resource's attributes are assigned default values,
which are determined by the provider, and are visible in the example
response."

Shlomo

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Thijs Metsch <Thijs.Metsch at sun.com> wrote:

> Hi @all,
>
> Here is another fresh build. No big changes - mostly formatting and cleanup
> of the OGF template...
>
> Awaiting your +1's :-D
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Thijs
>
> Thijs Metsch wrote:
>>
>> Hi @all,
>>
>> As we are in the process of finalizing the spec. Please review the
>> documents I send around on Monday :-) If possible I want know by Friday
>> (tomorrow) if there are any issues with the suggested changes (so to say
>> proposals :-)) we made during the F2F and the last days...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -Thijs
>>
>> Thijs Metsch wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We will publish our OCCI specification as a document series - consisting
>>> of core, infrastructure, http and xhtml5 rendering.
>>>
>>> Attached are the pdf formatted outputs of these documents.
>>>
>>> I'll build this document on a weekly base.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> -Thijs

> Thijs Metsch                        Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-122 (x60122)
> http://blogs.sun.com/intheclouds
> http://www.twitter.com/befreax
> Software Engineer Cloud, Grid and Virtualization
> Sun Microsystems GmbH
> Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7               mailto:thijs.metsch at sun.com
> D-93049 Regensburg                  http://www.sun.com

Shlomo Swidler
Cloud Computing Developer and Amazon EC2 Expert
http://clouddevelopertips.blogspot.com