[occi-wg] Fwd: Versioning?

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun May 31 13:21:30 CDT 2009

Oops... including list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 19:20:50 +0100
Subject: Re: [occi-wg] Versioning?
To: Mark Masterson <mmasterson at csc.com>

Mark,

Are you implying we might not get it right the first time? ;)

I thought I'd mentioned this point before but apparently not... I too
had read those references and thus far was planning to leave version
cruft out of the purl.org URLs, content types, etc. knowing that it
can be easily added later should there be revisions.

That said our extension mechanisms should cater for most change (eg
new verbs, attributes and perhaps even nouns) without having to break
existing systems. Also refer to my earlier rants about the core
protocol providing only extensibility.

HTTP will likely always be 1.1 but that's not to say the spec is
immutable - just look at the Link: headers which will allow us to
avoid Atom for individual resources.

Sam on iPhone