[occi-wg] moving forward

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed May 27 07:42:29 CDT 2009

Quoting [Richard Davies] (May 27 2009):

> Andre Merzky wrote:
> > > I would be very interested in what the OGF policy is here.
> >
> > OGF's policy is described at
> > http://www.ogf.org/About/abt_policies.php.  Please let me
> > know if you have more specific questions - I'm happy to
> > forward those to the responsible OGF folks.
>
> As I understand this document and your previous mail, the OGF position is
> that it requires at a minimum pledges of RAND (Reasonable and
> Non-Discriminatory) patent licensing:
> http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/occi-wg/2009-May/000778.html
>

> I strongly support Gary Mazz's reply at the time:
> http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/occi-wg/2009-May/000779.html
>
> We should make absolutely sure that OCCI either has no patent entanglement
> or that all relevant intellectual property is available RF (Royalty-Free).
>
> This is what we'd need to clarify with Sun or GoGrid before I'd be willing
> to base OCCI from one of their APIs. With a royalty-free patent pledge, I'd
> be happy to base it on either of them.

I agree.  OGF's requirement of RAND is a minimum - I don't
think that precludes RF statements at all.  If the OCCI
group feels that RF is a requirement (and it seems like
this), then the group should try to recieve those RF
statements (as you do).  Still, they should be posted on the
official OGF page.

> > > myself (ElasticHosts) - I'm happy to commit here and now. If OCCI wants to
> > > build from the EH APIs then we will immediately license them under Create
> > > Commons or any similar license. We have no patents covering our APIs, and
> > > I'm willing to sign any royalty-free patent pledge that OCCI gives me.
> >
> > Richard,
> >
> > example IPR notices are at
> > http://www.ogf.org/About/abt_policies_ipr.php.  Could you
> > draft a similar statement and send it to office at ogf.org?
>
> Absolutely - I will do that now and will cc: this list. I look forward to
> Sun and GoGrid following suit!

Great, thanks!

Best, Andre.

> Cheers,